Thursday, February 7, 2008

Storm- O- phobic




There are many things that you want to pass to your children about awareness and other intuitions so that they don't walk blindly through life. However, I have passed a bad trait on to Tuck. Tuesday night I sat vigil at the side of the televison until 1:30 in the morning to make sure that my family and belongings were safe from harms way. I generally am extremely over cautious when there is even talk of severe weather. I close all blinds, draw all curtains and gather all flashlights, candles and radios and put them in our safespace( the closet) so they are ready for use when we need them. I pace, look out windows, bite nails, eat popcicles and feel as though I could up-chuck at any point, and continuously switch channels to see if one knows more about the weather than the other. To say it plainly I am SCARED!

Side note: somewhere areound 11:51 pm, Chris Allen says " people are always asking me, chris, why does it always break up by the time it gets to BG" and he replys, "I don'tknow". Well, I can tell you why!, it is because Larie Vernon is on her hands and knees praying for that! Thank god for answering prayers!


Back to my point. On our way to school yesterday I was trying to explain that we were very fortunate that the tonados missed BG and we were safe. He asked what a tornado was and I tried to explain it to him. In his very simple way he said , so its kind of like the sorm throws up?. I said sort of. anyway, he was very concerned. I picked him up from school when there seemed to be an outbreak of 40 miles an hour winds and he was SCARED to death. All the way home he asked 10 thousand questions about the weather. He was really worried that a tornado was coming and we would get hit. Needless to say, MY worst fear has now become Tuckers. So, may I ask this... When severe weather breaks out, prayer for calm for Tucker and I.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I feel better knowing I'm not the only weather-crazy mom! Fortunately, none of the kids seem overly concerned yet. It's funny because my grandmother (who died before I was born) was a storm-o-phobe, but my mom is not. She was determined that we would not be scared either, like her mom had been. Well, I'm a certified storm-o-phobe, so it's probably not your fault that Tuck is. I can SO relate to your descriptions! I'll be right there praying with you/for you next time something hits. Someday when we build our dream home (haha) it WILL have the safest safe-room money can buy!

Melissa D said...

I am with you! Actually, we were kind of freaking out on the way home from preschool that day too. I didn't have my cell phone with me so I couldn't call anyone to see if there was a tornado warning or not.