Monday, January 7, 2008

Deep thoughts by Jack Handey

One of my favorite memories from being an adolescent was when my brother and I would watch Saturday night live together. We would stay up late and my mom would usually go on to bed. I don't know if you remember or not but there was a skit called "deep thoughts by Jack Handy" it was played by Phil Hartman. It was one of those skits that just made you laugh because it made no sense while it made all the sense in the world because it showed how your thoughts wonder. So today as I was driving home from picking Tucker up from school he started talking. It was that spot on Plano Rd. where it is just open space. It must have triggered some deep thought.Tuck tells me this:

"When I was a little boy, I was laying in bed and I was scared. I said Lord,( in his little boy accent that sounds more like Lohd)are you there? are you right here with me? If you are, I will forgive you forever! and everything was OK"

I thought this was so sweet. But it was as if it just came out of nowhere and he went about his usual talk of who could come over.

So tonight instead of thinking of everything in the world to keep from going to sleep- you know like, I need a drink, I need socks, I need more covers, I don't want covers, etc, etc, etc- he says:

When are going to get Santa's presents? I said Tucker, we just had Christmas and Santa already came. Remember? He said, "NO mom! I mean when are we going to give Santa his presents?" I said, "Well all he really asked for was milk and cookies." He said, "Well I would really like to give him some real presents." I said, "Well tell me what you want to get him? He said, "A Frosty with a Santa hat and Froggy with a Santa hat and a farmer dress, oh no, I mean farmer overalls."

He is such a thoughtful kid to want to give after he received. But all this crazy Tucker talk made me think of those crazy SNL skits. Lorne Michaels may have a new writer on his hands!!

0 comments: